I was trying out a cake recipe for this year’s Death by Chocolate competition and had a false start. Instead of creaming the butter into the sugar, I melted it with the chocolate chips! I ended up with a big bowl of buttery Wilbur chocolate that I didn’t want to waste.
I decided to make some fudge sauce out of my mistake by adding sweetened condensed milk. The end product was too thick to be fudge sauce and too melty to be fudge. So I decided to make truffles after my daughter started scooping it out of the bowl with a spoon and eating it anyway!
- 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 drops of orange oil (or substitute ¼- ½ teaspoon any flavor extract)
- Melt all ingredients except the flavoring in a microwave-safe container on high for 30-second intervals until butter and chocolate are melted.
- Add flavoring, stir well, and place in the refrigerator to set up.
- Use a spoon or scoop to portion hardened truffle mixture. Form portions into balls and roll in chopped nuts, cocoa powder, or powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.