- I again cut the bread into cubes and spread them out on a tray to air dry for a day. I didn’t put them in the oven because I didn’t need them to be completely dry before the next step in their transformation.
- When they were just about dry, I heated about a tablespoon each of olive oil and butter in heavy cast iron pan and stirred them around in the mixture until they were evenly coated.
- Then I added an Italian herb mixture of oregano, basil, and rosemary and a little freshly ground pepper.
- I continued frying the bread cube, oil/butter, and herb mixture until the bread was lightly browned.
- Finally, I spread them in a single layer in a shallow pan and baked them in a low-oven (about 300°F) until crisp.